Monday, February 22, 2016

元宵节快乐!

Its the 15th of the first month of the lunar calendar, thus marking the end of a Chinese New Year. It's a time for reunion, and eastern Valentine's Day.

So we made tangyuans on Saturday, and while I've made my fair share of kosong tangyuans with my mum back home, I've never made any with fillings before! Turns out it's a lot more complicated and difficult to make with the fillings (ever had dough stuck to your skin and just falling apart WITH filling spilling out through cracks...and you try hard to patch it just to have more dough sticking to your skin??)

All in all its really fun and eye opening, really grateful that we have people who know how to make the filling (peanut and black sesame paste!) from raw materials - roasting, blending, adding butter and sugar - and people who knew how to wrap the dough round the filling without it breaking apart. We also made peanut soup and ginger soup to go with the tangyuans, so they turned out to be our main dinner entree instead of dessert!

Here are some photos of the venture! Overall a great success :)

 The marbled ones were made of peanut filling which was harder to shape, and we ran out of flour so the dough ended up being too wet/sticky >.>

 Delicious tangyuan!!

 Peanut soup courtesy of our great cook :D

 That's how the filling looks!

Both ginger and peanut soup available for tangyuan nom noms!

On a side note, I'm learning the guitar again. I really like strumming and singing along to the guitar :)

I'm relearning some of the old songs I've learnt, and practicing finger style and various strumming patterns. I think those techniques will really help me in my playing, given that I'm a beginner and I always stick to the same few strumming patterns haha. Anyone has any tips on guitar playing, or good resources or websites online for a beginner self learner? All advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Andd after I master a few songs, maybe I'll try my hand at composing!

No comments: