Sunday, April 09, 2017

3rd time's the charm in Chicago

This is my 3rd time in Chicago, and I learned a lot more about it than I've ever had before. I saw the segregation of cultures and ethnicity - rich neighborhoods that were predominantly white everywhere you looked, with fancy shops and spas and massage and manicure places. 99% of the cars were beautifully washed, waxed and shined, gleaming in the sun oh so clean. And I definitely felt safe walking around here.

Then I also had the opportunity to walk through neighborhoods that were predominantly black, and it's unfortunate that the stereotypes hold true here - it's sketchy and I didn't feel as safe walking here, there were drunk ppl (at 7pm whaaatt) and drivers that don't stop for pedestrians! When we're crossing the road on a green light, the driver refused to stop for us and turned right cutting us off, and we had to stop for cars on multiple occasions when cars didn't stop at the stop sign. This is such a different experience for me here (compared to sf or other cities) and it honestly made me feel a little sad. Asians also mostly live in a few congregated neighborhoods like Chinatown or Vietnamese town or Korea town (or Chicago theater area)...

I guess this happens in many places in the world, but having it to this degree is a little of a surprise for me, since I thought of Chicago as a very diverse city. Another interesting observation - I walked through a protest downtown on Friday on the way to dinner; it was a protest on the US stance on Syria and was against a US war in Syria. Very interesting to see that this is an active city on politics as well - quite a mishmash of conservative midwestern culture vs open minded city folks.

I also encountered a few drunks this trip - once on an uberpool ride and once in a deep dish pizza restaurant. The uberpool ride was understandable since it was 11 on a Friday night. The drunk person was just repeating himself and stating the obvious very loudly (e.g. I'm not being dropped off here, can you give us a ride home! Oh yes? Thank you!!). His friend was high on something and was generally not responsive to questions - I was more uncomfortable about him actually but oh well, I'm against drugs that's probably why :/

However, we were at the pizza restaurant at 7pm on Saturday, and these three (white) guys next to us were already drunk! One of the guys made conversation with us in a very drunken way, asked some questions that can be construed as racist but being the Singaporean I am, I don't really get offended and was glad to correct their misconceptions and stereotypes of Asians. Also he seemed to think I'm from China even though I said Singapore. Oh well no surprise there, especially since he's drunk. And it was funny because he's 42 and has two kids, but he kept saying nice things to me (hitting on me?). He tried to get me and my guy friend to party at his hotel bar lol, no way we're going to go.

Also, I was happy because he said I was beautiful (at least 4 times - "man she is beautiful!", "It must be hard. It must be hard being so beautiful."), that I had such beautiful straight teeth, that I must be smarter than my guy friend, that I am an independent strong woman and my guy friend should learn from me hahaha. It was both offensive and sexist and a compliment at the same time. I very much enjoyed it ;) And it's mainly because my guy friend isn't portraying himself as confidently as I was; I wasn't deterred by these guys at all but he was visibly uncomfortable, so that made a difference. I guess I know how to play this American game now, how to look and talk confident so I can fit in :)

Now I'm leaving, and I'm glad I got to see the real Chicago this time. I also got to watch Hamilton the musical (yesss!!!) finally, a dream come true haha. I want to watch the musical again and close up on the front rows lol, if only it's not so $$$$...

No comments: