Thursday, March 08, 2018

How I have grown

Happy International Women Day folks! I don't agree with celebrating women only on one day - we should celebrate us and address women's issues every day. But still I recognize the meaning of it and how it starts conversations, so that's great.

Ok this post will be about the woes of online dating, and kind of shows you why I've been feeling so jaded about it, but I also realised I've grown so much since I started. I've stopped feeling as affected by guys / other people, the things they say or do to me, though I still need a lot of conscious re-thinking to make sure I don't let other people's negativity get me down.

Yes I'm back on the online dating scene. I've re-installed all my apps (that I've been off of for the past 6 months)...and it didn't even seem like I've been gone. In fact, I think the quality of guys on the apps just went down! Gosh, just when I thought I'm a veteran at this, you guys keep surprising me, and NOT in a good way. And somehow I'm not surprised anymore...

This isn't looking good you guys, come on I know you can do better than this!

I went on a date last week and I felt quite sad...yet another case of amazing-in-texting-but-terrible-in-person date. I gave him a chance and even re-engaged in talking with him over text after meeting him, and talked to him over the phone. Again - texting is good and he's super responsive, manages my expectations etc, but on the phone he was terrible.

He sounded like a self-absorbed, presumptuous and arrogant guy who didn't care much about the other person's feelings, though he tried to do so. He really did try, I can tell, but it took so much effort for him. And because of that he was emotionally guilt tripping me to do the same things for him, but I just felt defensive every time I heard his voice or thought of him.

I have no idea how he even got all his past girlfriends, it's like he says things that are all the right things, but his body language and tone didn't mean it - like saying "I don't ever brag about those things, I hate people who do" and then he goes about subtly bragging about those things (without meaning to).

What the heck? But really he didn't mean to. Right....

Anyhow I just told him we're not a good match and best of luck in his search, and he asked me to pay for half of the meal that he treated me. Umm...on the date I asked to pay half and he insisted on treating, and then now...what? He's burned all the bridges lol, don't think I'd even want to talk to him again.

He actually reminds me of my ex (in terms of the lack of sensitivity/communication) but a much worse version of him, one that is also super cynical, insecure, and more picky among other issues. Goodness...I don't even know where to begin. If I don't conform with his ideas, he would be making me feel bad and terrible about it. Even seeing him once already made me feel this way, can you imagine if it really were everyday??

I am so glad I'm a much stronger person now and feel less affected by these sorts of things. No matter his sweet words or actions, I won't be duped by such superficial things, and I don't need a negative influence in my life that brings me down.

Oh and another online date tried to ask about sex in our first -text- conversation (yes not even in person) but he was so awkwardly bad about it I just laughed. And he wasn't even that good looking...I told him sorry don't think it's going to work out. 

Goodness what has this online dating scene gone to - guys who are just so bad with women that they think they can get women by asking for sex? hahahaha

No comments: