More than once, people have asked me about my name and whether my personality has been influenced by my name. So...my name was given to me by the doctor who delivered me - apparently I looked super happy and like I'm enjoying myself! I'm also super bubbly, optimistic, outgoing, etc. which matches my name, and hence the question.
My answer is a strong adamant yes - I definitely feel more expectations from others that I should be a happy person by virtue of my name, and being an Obliger, I constantly seek to fulfill external expectations. I'm pretty sure I've also internalized the expectation (since it's positive and really helps my growth too) to be an optimistic and happy person, so that's how I've lived my life and how it's shaped my personality.
Despite my bouts of depression and sad moments, I realise that I do have the ability to be resilient and bounce back from setbacks. So...I guess thanks doctor for giving me this name!
I read this article yesterday about how your first name shapes how others think of your personality. Hopefully my name is a warm and competent one, but if not, at least it's a warm name xD
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2169622-how-your-name-shapes-what-other-people-think-of-your-personality/
I wonder how these names would be rated outside of the US though, it could differ by culture and society. Anyhow, I hope I'll give my kids warm and competent names! ^^
No comments:
Post a Comment