Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Homecoming Tears

I’m home for 9 days and the moment my mom saw me, she teared up and reached out to give me a hug. She’d never done that before. We are not a hugging family, we never said I love you, never hugged, and we don’t give words of affirmation or physical touch.

I was surprised but happy to see how much she had missed me, that she had shed tears (of happiness? of missing me?) and wanted a hug. Because I lived so far away, I go home once a year or longer. I felt guilty seeing those tears, I was being so awkward 😐. I don’t really think about my family as much as I probably should. That was certainly a very overwhelming homecoming moment, I just wanted to blog here so I’ll remember it.

I’m doing a small wedding dinner (70 ppl??) and Chinese tea ceremony with my relatives this trip. It’s become a whole THING but I’ll be glad when it happens so it’ll be over. I’ll try to enjoy it as much as possible too.

Thinking it over, my mom probably teared up because it’s the first time she got to see me wearing my wedding ring. Now that I see myself in the mirror in my childhood home, I feel it too. I’m now grown up and married away. I’m no longer her daughter as much as I’m a wife and woman. It’s probably pretty overwhelming for her too, since she hasn’t had much time to adjust to the idea. I feel sad, happy and just a bunch of mixed emotions. It’s kind-of weird.

No comments: