Friday, May 02, 2025

End of an Era

I just put in my 2 weeks’ notice today, I’ll be quitting on May 16. This marks the end of my work era, and beginning my motherhood and semi-retirement era, where I focus on my baby and the little joys in life.

I have so many big emotions right now. I’m scared and nervous, since it’s my first time quitting a job. At the same time I feel relieved since I was feeling burned out and less passionate about my work. I also feel sad to say goodbye to my career woman and mentor identity, to my friends at the workplace. My team, my managers, and the people I’ve spent the past 11 years of my life with. The people I spent my adulthood with, who helped me grow and change so much professionally and personally.

Work has been my second family, my home away from home. I spent more time with them than my friends and family, especially since we were traveling together every week for projects, spending time outside of work going for dinners, lunches, hikes, jazz shows, sports games, and being stuck together in uber rides. So many fun and amusing memories, but I know it’s already been coming to an end post COVID. We’ve all drifted apart and moved on in different ways, so this is a natural close of an era for me.

I’m excited for what’s next! I probably will end up doing something again when my baby is a few years old. Whether it’s volunteering or working part time or a new job entirely for a meaningful cause, or maybe focusing on a hobby (join a dance or singing group?). I love the social aspects of work, the community and the feeling of having a second family. I will find this identity and sense of belonging for myself in this next phase of life.

No comments: